Table of Contents
Dorset Linux User Group
Who Are We?
We're users of the Linux operating system that have ties to Dorset and enjoy helping one another out, meeting face to face, or just chatting about Linux and free and open source software. Whether you're just considering Linux to avoid the “upgrade” to Windows 7 and want to know more, or are a wizened Unix wizard, feel free to get in touch. Many of us use the Ubuntu distribution, but also Debian, Arch Linux, and even a bit of BSD.
The main way we communicate is the mailing list. It's relatively low volume, typically there's no emails for a few days and then someone with start a thread triggering half a dozen messages. After subscribing, post a message introducing yourself to say hello and consider adding yourself to the members page. We've also a group you can join.
A small number of us meet once a month at a pub for a beer and a chat. We've settled on Bournemouth these days, but have visited Dorchester and Blandford Forum in the past to give more people a chance to go. If you've a venue suggestion, let us know. Reminders are sent to the mailing list just before a meet and a summary of what went on is often written up afterwards.
In the past, we used to have workshop meetings where people would bring along their machines and we'd do more technical things than a pub allows. They stopped when the venue became unavailable. These days, lots of laptops make an appearance at the pub. If you know of a venue for more technical meetings, e.g. to give a talk, let us know.
There's other local related groups that also have events and meetings. dotDorset is where a lot of them are listed.
As a spin-off from the workshop meetings we've had a couple of “Install Days” in the past in coordination with other LUGs. We helped people get Linux up and running on their machine.
Other related groups in the Dorset area include
- Hampshire LUG, the neighbours.
- Make Bournemouth, a “collective of multidisciplinary creatives”.
- Mobile Dorset, “informal gathering of mobile developers, designers and anyone with a passion for mobile in Dorset”.
- Meetdraw, Bournemouth-based meetings of Dorset digital animals.
- Digital Hampshire, “Knowledge-sharing, debate & inspiration throughout Hampshire's digital community”.
And some defunct ones from the past.
- dotDorset, a hub listing Dorset’s local technology communities.
- Dorset Digital, “an informal community of web and software professionals”.
- B&W Talk & Meet, “a Bournemouth-based pub meet for digital creatives”.
- rubyDorset, for new and seasoned Ruby programmers in Dorset.
- Bournemouth.rb, for Ruby programmers.
- hackbmth, “What would happen if you put Bournemouth’s creatives in one room, for one day?”.
- Bournemouth Startup Beers, an example meet.
- UX Bomo, “The monthly event for Bournemouth & Dorset UX folk”.
- Techshore, Southampton-based meetings for south-coast tech. start-ups.
We've some articles written by members on various related topics. These include notes on how to carry out some specific tasks in Linux and a review of distributions by various members. Also introductions to various kinds of Linux, and competitive comparisons and advice about setting up.
Finally, there are a few local companies who provide Linux related services.